This article discusses the role of cool, reflective roofing, and specifically the role of PVC roofing as a way to decrease energy use and thereby decrease emissions. PVC single-ply roofing deflects heat from buildings, decreases energy use, mitigates urban heat islands, and serves as a durable platform for photovoltaic systems and vegetative roofs.
After reading this article, you should be able to:
1. Discuss the science and background of cool roofing systems.
2. Describe the basics of thermoplastic single-ply roofing.
3. Identify myths and realities of PVC cool roofing.
4. Describe the role cool vinyl roofing plays in sustainable building design.
5. Identify key criteria for roof selection.